Friday, February 16, 2007

I am 38 years old and have been married to the same man for 18 years

I met my husband at Community College of Philadelphia. He was a music major, and I was an art major.

I didn't realize when I enrolled that being able to doodle well does not make one an artist.

My husband told me that the first time he ever saw me was at Bridge & Pratt, coming off the "El" train and getting on the a bus. He said I had on a pink sweater, black stirrup pants (Remember those? I am tall, so they were always pulling down at the crotch.) I had on a walkman, and was carrying my big black artist portfolio, which had a sticker on it that I got in an art shop. It said, "Kiss an artist today."

My poor DH, he said by the time he got on the bus, most of the seats were taken and he had to go in the back. When someone got off, he moved closer to me. He said I completely ignored him, because I had my walkman on. I was probably listening to Prince. DH said he did everything he could to get my attention, but it was no use.

See, the weird thing is, I like everyone, at least at first, and I go out of my way to get people to like me. It is a big fault, I know, and I'm working on it. I would have drooled all over my DH if I knew he was looking at me.

A few days later, my DH came up to me in the hall and said he'd seen me on the bus, that he was trying to get my attention, that we lived close by to each other....

"Uh, yeah?"

At the current time, I had been dating two different guys in the art department, which was going ugly, and I had temporarily sworn off men. I had seriously been contemplating attending the school's gay and lesbian club, but I didn't have the guts.

I ignored DH for about a month after that. He'd wave to me in the hallways, I'd wave back and keep walking. Finally, one day one of my art department boyfriends was getting on my nerves, so when I spotted DH I bounded up to him, and said, "Hi Gary!" DH"s name is NOT Gary.

That was how I started dating my DH, if you could call it dating. We had no car, no money, and not a whole lot of free time. Basically all we ever did was have sex. He was my first. A year and a half later we had a baby and got married. It was no surprise, if you know how impulsive and irrational we both were at the time.

My parents were thrilled (not).

No comments: