Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Time and Names

Boy, nothing like sleep depravation and sinus problems to zap your creativity!
I'll just share two little odd facts about myself today.

1. I was born at 12:30a.m. on July13th. This was of course during Daylight Savings Time. I don't know why, but the hosptial recorded my birthday in Eastern Standard Time, thus changing my official birth record to 11:30P.M., July 12th. So, I kind of have 2 birthdays.

Which just goes to tell us that time is a relative concept.

2. My real first name is Lori-Ann. I have no middle name. When my mother registered me in school as a child, she wrote Lori Ann X....., and not Lori-Ann X.....
Consequently, every teacher and student throughout 12 years of school knew me as Lori X. I, myself introduced myself as Lori, and came to be annoyed that my own family didn't know my proper name.
In the last couple of years, I've been going through this life altering/self-affirmation phase. I decided to start using my full name. I told my employers to put it on my name tag, so everyone at work only know me as Lori-Ann. There are people that are confused and wondering just what my name is, and I try to explain myself, without sounding too flaky.

This goes to show how much an impact school has on a child. School told me what my name was!

No comments: