Monday, April 16, 2007

For Pete's Sake

My dear husband is seeing a therapist. I've been after him for years to go, but he had a major distrust of mental health services. Actually, Randy has trust issues in general, which is one of the reasons he's seeing a therapist.

So, today, Randy's therapist started Gestalt Therapy with DH. The therapist had Randy make up a name for the side of himself that causes conflict. Randy named his alter-ego Pete. Then Randy conversed with Pete. The conversation went something like this:

Randy: Pete, we need to talk. You've been causing a lot of problems between Lily and me. You're holding on to things that I've let go of, putting negative thoughts in my head.

Pete: Hey buddy, I've always been there for you; I've gotten you through a lot of bad times.

Randy: I know you have, Pete, and I still feel like I need you sometimes, but as far as Lily goes, I need you to back off a little.


And so on and so forth.

Personally, I think I have a word or two for Pete.

I think this Gestalt Therapy is a good thing. Randy has obviously found a good therapist. Many of the therapists I've been to did little more than just sit there and have me talk on and on. When Randy is done with this guy, I think I'll give it a go. There's still some unresolved issues I could deal with.


No comments: